Friday, 10 April 2015


I am in love with what our French sewcialists are producing at the moment.  My IG feed is just full of French sewers and when I spotted Republique du Chiffon's Marthe pattern I just had to have a go.

I made it out of a cotton jersey so didn't feel I needed (or wanted!) the button back fastening.  This has to be about the most funniest pattern I've ever worked with, mostly due to google translate.  My favourite being "electroplate" = press.  The instructions made no sense whatsoever once translated but fortunately the pattern was pretty simple and the diagrams helped.

My French is very very beginners-in-an-allo-allo styleee so I picked up a few new words -

Dos = back
Devant = front
Manche = sleeve (google translates this as"handle"- you can imagine the confusion).  I love the translations of the imperatives for instructing - "perform, realize and mount" if only all pattern instructions were like this...

As usual I added an additional 2" for ma looooong bod-ay but other than that no other alterations.  I love working with jersey so easy to whack under the overlocker.  I did mess up the neck (there's an additional set of instructions on Republique du Chiffon's website of how to administer the neck band.  I messed up on the cover stitching and had to unpick and picked a hole in the fabric - eek!

Fortunately it's not noticeable to the naked eye! Phew!


No comments:

Post a Comment